Banoffee Pie is very popular but rather time-consuming to make. I have therefore created this cheat's version, which takes minutes to make AND tastes delicious. Who needs to know that you didn't make it from scratch.
rich butter shortcake dessert bases
1. Place the shortcake bases on serving plates.
2. Peel and slice the banana and divide between the cases, arranging the slices neatly.
3. Spoon or squeeze the banoffee sauce over the banana slices.
4. Whip the cream until it holds its shape. You can either spoon the cream over the filling or put it into a piping bag and pipe it on to create a professional finish.
5. Dust the cream with the cocoa powder.
6. If you're using the chocolate sauce, warm it so that it is a fairly runny consistency. Serve the chocolate sauce separately or see Tip for a more professional finish.
Tip: Put dots on the plates at equal intervals around the tarts. Using a toothpick or skewer, place the tip in the centre and pull outwards to create a teardrop effect.
Freezing not recommended.
Recipe courtesy of Women's Institute Complete Christmas, Food And Crafts For A Perfect Christmas by Sian Cook, Margaret Williams and Anne Griffiths. Published by Simon and Schuster Ltd. Available from all good book stores.